Harry and Martha Cohen Award
2018 Harry & Martha Cohen Award Call for Nominations
Since 1984, Alberta Theatre Projects has been proud to partner with the Cohen family to present The Harry and Martha Cohen Award for significant and sustained contribution to theatre in Calgary.
Do you know someone who is an inspiration in our theatre community in Calgary?
Is there someone who continually inspires you? Does this person set the bar in terms of their passion and commitment to Calgary theatre community?
This person may be a leader onstage, offstage or backstage; an actor, director, playwright, designer, administrator, philanthropist, dramaturg, manager, teacher, technician or volunteer.
Want to show your appreciation?
We will gather at the closing night performance of GLORY, by Tracey Power on Saturday, April 21st , 2018. The award ceremony will take place following the performance. At that ceremony the recipient will be honoured with a cash prize of $1500 and a framed certificate. Additionally, the recipient’s name will be added to the list of our past honourees and inscribed on a scroll that hangs in our lobby in Martha’s Corner.
Nominate a theatre champion now!
To nominate an inspirational theatre champion, simply download and fill out the form below.
- The nomination form must include a 250-400 word statement about the person’s contributions to be considered
- Please outline the reason for the nomination and make direct reference to how the nominee has made a significant and sustained contribution to theatre in Calgary
Nominations must also include:
- The nominee’s résumé
- 2 letters of support
- Any other documentation useful in assessing the qualifications of the nominee
- Please limit submissions to 8 pages maximum
- All nominations remain eligible for two years
- Nominations are being accepted from now until Friday, March 9th, 2018 at 5 pm
- Applications will not be returned
- Only the chosen recipient will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.
- The nominator and seconder of the 2018 recipient will be invited to attend both the production of GLORY and the award ceremony that follows.
The nominations will be reviewed by an anonymous, independent jury comprised of members of of the theatre community from a variety of backgrounds.
Thank you for taking the time to help us celebrate extraordinary leaders in our community and for your continued support of theatre in Calgary! We look forward to hearing from you.
For more information please contact Kathryn Kerbes, Donor Relations and Special Events Manager at 403-294-7475 ext. 2345 or kkerbes@ATPlive.com
2017 Recipient, Carol Dann
Carol Dann is simply one of the best supporters an arts organization could ask for, and we’re delighted to be one of the many theatre companies in Calgary she so generously supports with her time. The health and vibrancy of our city’s arts scene depends on the dedication and tireless effort of volunteers like Carol. From the bottom of our hearts: thank you Carol! We couldn’t do it without you!
Photo by Jeff Yee
All Previous Recipients:
1986 Betty Gibb
1987 Grant Reddick
1988 Margaret Bard and Bartley Bard
1989 Joyce Doolittle
1990 Georgie Collins
1991 Blake Brooker and Michael Green
1992 D. Michael Dobbin
1993 Marilyn Potts
1994 Fred Scott
1995 JoAnne James
1996 Duval Lang
1997 Gillian Dalton
1998 Hal Kerbes and Kathryn Kerbes
1999 Sharon Pollock
2000 David LeReaney
2001 Bob White
2002 Jock Osler
2003 John Murrell
2004 Valerie Ann Pearson
2005 Dianne Goodman
2006 Clarice Evans
2007 Lynn DuFort
2008 Stephen Hair
2009 Doug Curtis
2010 Patricia Benedict
2011 Celebration of Past Recipients
2012 Mark Bellamy
2013 Patti Pon
2014 Patricia Moore and Sherrold Moore
2015 Kevin McKendrick
2016 Terry Gunvordahl
2017 Carol Dann